- Ptarmigan (the "p" is silent -- the state bird of Alaska)
- Snowshoe hare (look like the bunnies at home, except with really big feet and no cottontails)
- Ground squirrels (smaller version of what we have at home)
- A Golden Eagle who swooped and swirled right outside our windows
- Several Grizzly Bears, ncludng a mama and cub walking right by the side of the road
- Dall Sheep (the white cliff-dwelling wild sheep who inspired the creation of the park)
We stopped in an area where wolf had been reported and several people on the bus claimed to see them walking through the brush, but I never saw anything myself. We didn't spot any moose, but we have seen several wandering my the roadside, so we weren't too upset about that.
The other thing we didn't see, to our disappointment, was Denali (aka and officially Mt. McKinley) itself. It was just too cloudy. Ah, well -- that's what postcards are for, right?