Friday, July 25, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane . . . Eventually!

Wouldn't be a trip without a little drama, right?

As those who know me well can testify, I'm an inveterate procrastinator, a real last-minute girl. But this trip, I was ready. My bags were packed, I was ready to go! I was T minus 30 or so to leave for the airport, running the vacuum and making the bed, when my cell phone rang. It was Orbitz, through whom I bought the tickets, calling to let me know that due to "weather" (it was a gorgeous day) Northwest Airlines had cancelled my 12:15 flight to Minneapolis, which of course meant I would miss my two connections.

So, Orbitz-girl says, they have rebooked on another set of flights.

The next day.

Obviously, this was not O.K. with me -- we have a complicated and packed itinery that involves, among other things, leaving Anchorage at 10 am Friday to pick up the 10-year-old from Space Camp. A 24 hour delay-of-game would totally throw the plans into chaos.

So, it took two different phones calls to NWA and some tears and a little screaming, but they got me on a flight to Detroit and then from there to Anchorage. I spent 6 hours at DCA, 1.5 hours in Detroit, and 9 or so hours in the air, but I made it!!

I arrived in Anchorage at 10:30 pm (Anchorage time, 2:30 am my time!) and it was overcast but daylight. I've never been so disoriented in my life!

Spent the night at a hotel/guest house in Anchorage, got a little sleep, and we're off!

Pictures tonight, hopefully!

No comments: